Saturday, September 12, 2009

Terry Buckland: 1951-2009


Terry Buckland a fixture at the University of Toronto since 1985 (so I think) passed away on Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 at 12:07 pm.

Terry was the Arts and Science Students' Union. With Jane, his colleague of 20 years, he built the student union to the union that it is today. Together they created the Anti-Calendar which is probably the only book of its kind in North America. Its been around for more than two decades and well respected by both students and the administration alike.

Terry was the reason why the student union took up issues like the 24 hours study space in Robarts, the waiving of interest on outstanding tuition in the Fall term, the faculty process for petitions and appeals, sky rocketing fees, the deregulation of fees in certain programs ultimately leading to the deregulation in the Faculty of Arts and Science. These projects were his babies, except he ensured that the Presidents from one year to the next would carry forward with the same work.

Except, Terry was not only all this, he was much much more to all of us. He might not have had his own kids, but he made children out of so many of us. Terry was always there for us. In my case him and ASSU have been the only constant in my life since 1999. When we were happy Terry was in the background, happy just knowing that we were happy. When something fell out of place in our lives, we could turn around knowing that Terry was there for us. And he was there for us like a parent: forgiving, loving, adoring - no matter what our faults were.

Terry awakened politics inside my soul, before I couldnt care less about politics and government. Terry got me into ASSU, told me I could be President, and that I would be a good one. Terry told me that I shouldnt go to SAC (but I did anyway) because I wouldnt like it (he was right). Terry told me that I should work with kids and education because that is what I love, and he was right again.

I was supposed to write Terry a letter once, which I never did, so I will in my next blog post.

Rest In Peace Terry.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you write so well. May Terry's soul rest in peace.

    Amazing man to have inspired you so!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete